Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sermon for October 12th

Now it’s time for the TOP TEN REASONS YOU MIGHT HEAR FOR WHY YOUR FRIEND DOESN’T WANT TO GO TO CHURCH . . . Number 10: The church is full of hypocrites. Number 9: I like to have one day to just sleep in. Number 8: Religions all teach the same things. Number 7: God loves me even if I don’t go to church. Number 6: Churches just want money. Number 5: But I’m not baptized. Number 4: But I was raised Catholic. Number 3: I try to be a good person, even if I don’t go to church. Number 2: I don’t believe in God. And the number one reason you might hear for why your friend doesn’t want to go to church: I’m spiritual, not religious.

Today’s readings, but especially the one from Isaiah, refer to some amazing promises from God, but not everybody knows about them. Isaiah proclaims that God “will swallow up death forever.” That God “will wipe away the tears from all faces, and the disgrace of his people he will take away from all the earth.” “Lo, this is our God;” Isaiah declares, “we have waited for him, so that he might save us. This is the Lord for whom we have waited; let us be glad and rejoice in his salvation.” The thing is that many people are still waiting, they are still searching, they are alone, they are depressed and they are our best friends, or at least our good friends, and maybe we want to tell them, but we are completely unequipped to do so. We are scared to death to say anything for fear that they be offended or it might hurt our friendship or it might be awkward or we might say something wrong . . . or worse, they might just say no. Yet, how can they believe if they have never been told?

There are two purposes to this sermon. First I’d like to equip you for faith conversations. I’m going to provide you with a starting point to respond to common questions that come up about church, Christianity and worship. Second, I’d like to support your own personal faith. I’m going to remind you that your salvation and your friends’ salvation is not your responsibility. God chooses. God saves. God forgives. You and I are simply his servants, his mouthpieces, his tools, his ministers. We can’t make anyone fall in love with Jesus; all we can do is hand them Jesus’ love letter, or bring them to his post office and get out of the way.

I don’t know how many times I’ve been told that people don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care. So, the first rule of thumb about faith conversations is to really care about the person you are talking with. In fact, the best time to tell someone about Jesus or to invite them to church is when you don’t feel like you have to. When it just makes sense do it. When you love them too much not to tell them. If your friend confesses that they are depressed, or lonely, or seeking help with life’s hard questions, then why not tell them how you have found love and support. Don’t try to convince them of anything, just ask them to “come and see”; let them hear and experience everything themselves. Invite them through the front door for church, or invite them through the side door for the Harvest supper, the prayer group, Bible study or Sunday school. And if you really want to see them here, make it a date and bring them yourself. Jesus can and will speak to them through you.

Dave Kinnamon wrote a book titled “Unchristian” that talks about the perceptions of 250,000 unchurched people who were surveyed about what they thought about Christians. Here are the top perceptions people have if all they know about you is that you are a Christian: 87% think Christians are judgmental, 75% too political, and 85% think Christians are hypocritical. In other words, finding someone you don’t know off the street and asking them to church might be very frustrating. People you care about and who actually know might still have these perceptions and for good reason, churches are full of sinners and hypocrites, but they might actually give you the benefit of the doubt.

I, personally, have no problem encouraging people to go to my favorite restaurants. I have no problem encouraging people to see my favorite movies. I have no problem encouraging people to listen to my favorite music, going to my favorite website, or agreeing with my favorite issue. Is it really that different for you and me to encourage our friends and family to go to our favorite church?

It seems to be. But why? Well, perhaps it is because you feel completely unequipped to respond to any thoughtful response to your invitation. I’m here to help you start responding. These are not canned answers for you to use on someone. Who knows what you or I might say in the heat of the moment. But, I want you to start thinking about how you might respond if you asked a friend, who just went through a messy divorce, to come with you to church and they say, “Thanks, but no thanks. The church is full of hypocrites.”

Yes, the church is full of hypocrites and liars and all kinds of really bad sinners. I go there to hear that God forgives me. I know you, you’re my friend, but I know that you aren’t perfect just like I’m not. Wouldn’t you like to hear that God forgives you too? You don’t have to go alone, I’ll pick you up Sunday morning.

“But I like to have one day to just sleep in.” Me too, but I’m forced to get up even earlier every other day of the week for work or to get the kids off to school. I choose to get up on Sundays for church because it helps me get through the week. Once you get into the habit you might even start to like going to church. I do. You could come with me if you want.

“Religions all teach the same things.” Yeah, well, many religions teach you to be a good person or to do good things for others, but only Jesus Christ died to forgive you unconditionally. Other religions don’t teach that. Jesus promises that by trusting in him, you will have eternal life no matter how many good or bad things you have done. You know me, I’m no saint. I go to church so that I can hear that I’m forgiven and then go back out and try to love people.

“Listen, God loves me even if I don’t go to church.” Yes, God does love you no matter what! But you know what. I know my wife loves me even if she doesn’t say it. But I like to hear her say it. I can’t hear it often enough! I want to hear that God loves me as much as I can. That’s one reason I go to church every Sunday. I think that you’d have a great time and meet some great people at Saint Peters.

“Churches just want money.” Yeah, I’ve felt that way along the way. But worship on Sundays is really about what God is giving us, not what we give to God. You don’t have to give anything at church. It’s not necessary. For me, giving money to the church is just one way to says thanks to God for all the blessings he gives my family and so that I can support different ministries in our church. Just come; don’t worry about that whole money thing.

“But I’m not baptized.” You don’t need to be baptized in order to come to church. Baptism is just a special way to hear God’s promise of forgiveness. Now, if you ever want to be baptized then just ask, that’d be awesome. But don’t let it stop you from coming. I’m going to the 8:00 service this Sunday. Why don’t you ask at home and I’ll call Saturday night to see if you have any more questions.

“But I was raised Catholic.” The important thing is that you are a Christian. Jesus died for you. You don’t have to be Lutheran to come to Saint Peters. Anyone is welcome at church because God’s promise is for everyone. Lutherans believes that Jesus Christ loves you because you have faith in him and his forgiveness and not because you do enough good things.

“Listen, I try to be a good person, even if I don’t go to church.” I know that. You help me out all the time. But church isn’t for good people, church is for people who make mistakes, who sometimes do bad things. That’s me and that’s you too, right? Church is where you can hear that you are forgiven for not being a perfect person. But here’s the thing, I’m not trying to convince you. Just come and see what it’s like. You might even like it.

“But, I don’t believe in God.” Well, I do, but you don’t have to believe in God to go to church. Church is a place to hear that God loves you and forgives you. You don’t have to say or do anything that you don’t want to. Church is primarily about hearing what God does for you, not saying what you do for God. If you are questioning whether there really is a God come and see for yourself. If you still have questions, maybe you can talk to our pastor after service.

“I’m spiritual, not religious.” For me, church isn’t about being spiritual or being religious. It’s about hearing that Jesus loves me and forgives me. The Bible says that we are made right with God by faith alone, not by what we think is spiritual or by what we do religiously. I just think it’d be really cool to have you come this Sunday.

These are ways to start thinking about what you might say if you asked someone to come to church and they said no and said why. You are going to come up with your own answers. But as I mentioned before, there is one more thing that I have to do before we end this sermon. I need to support your faith. You may never ever get up the nerve to invite anyone to church or mention Jesus’ name even your best friend. You may end up saying the worst thing at the worst time and end up in a shouting match. You may be surprised at how many of your friends were just waiting for you to share your faith with them. But know this, you won’t be perfect and God will still speak through you somehow. God will always love you and always forgive you.

You are only here to plant the seeds. God gives the growth. God gives the faith. God does the saving. It is not up to you to “save” anyone. You are simply God’s mail carrier. Giving people his love letters so they can know who their Savior truly is. And that is finally my job too. I can’t convince you to tell anyone about your faith. I can’t make you give anyone God’s promises. I can’t make a single one of you believe anything. But I can give you Jesus’ love letter and let the Holy Spirit work on your heart. Dear Sinner, dear lost sheep, dear prodigal son and daughter, I love you and I am determined to make you mine. Love, Your merciful Savior, Jesus.

No comments: