Saturday, April 11, 2009

Sermon for Maundy Thursday

When I was little, I learned this song describing the awesomeness of God. Maybe, you know it as well. He’s got the whole world in his hands, he’s got the whole world in his hands, he’s got the whole world, in his hands, he’s got the whole world in his hands. Now, listen again to tonight’s gospel reading, John 13, “Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going to God, got up from the table, took off his outer robe, and tied a towel around himself. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples feet and to wipe them with the towel that was tied around him.” God gives Jesus everything, all things God places into Jesus’ hands. And what do those hands do? They wash people’s feet.

During seminary, I spent a lot of time studying. During my first summer semester, while I was studying Greek, I would spend four hours straight each night working on my homework. I’d lock myself up in the study and . . . study, while Kristy did the dishes, did the laundry, cooked the meals and cleaned them up. But we both agreed that I was doing something really important. So important, it seems, that I couldn’t take the time to use my hands to do something as simple as washing the dishes.

Later on, once we had kids, I still had homework and so I would go into the study and, well, study. While I studied sometimes Kristy, my wife, would ask me to change a diaper because she was cooking, cleaning up, doing the laundry or doing the dishes. And yet, I would complain because, of course, we agreed, what I was doing was important and it didn’t seem right for me to take my hands away from my homework and, instead, clean out a poopy diaper. Jesus, on the other hand, knowing that the Father had given all things into HIS hands . . . well, he kneeled down, and washed dirt off of his disciples feet.

I’ve heard pastors say, more than once, that they make sure that they don’t get stuck moving tables or chairs around because there are people in the congregation who can do those things. They don’t want to get stuck doing it, they’ve got better things to do—more important things to do with their hands I guess? At the soup kitchen each week, they are often looking for volunteers to serve food. Of course, like many of you, I don’t have the time to serve this food because we’ve got to take care of our own families first and get them fed as well. What’s the best use for your hands in your life? What are your priorities? “Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, put his disciples dirty feet in his hands and washed them.” Was that the best of use of Jesus’ hands? Surprisingly, the answer is yes.

The problem is, we can’t just argue that, “Well, he was Jesus. That’s what he was like.” Because Jesus commands us, “So if I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have set you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you.”

I’ve often wondered why churches never really got into the habit of foot washing, not just on Maundy Thursday, but on a regular basis in church as well. But, for whatever reason, I’m glad they didn’t. Jesus’ sermon on servanthood would have been lost amongst the rules and regulations of a sacrament. We might begin to think washing feet was all that our hands were able to do when it is just the beginning.

Jesus, the disciples’ Lord and Savior, their Teacher, took the place of the lowliest of servants. God had given everything into his hands and, instead of basking in this glory, Jesus served by washing his disciples’ feet. You can glimpse how counter-cultural his actions were when Peter argues against this kind of degradation of his teacher. Or, perhaps, he wasn’t so upset about the actions Jesus was taking, but he foresaw where this little sermon was heading. If Jesus was willing to wash feet, well, the disciples probably understood what that meant for them. I also wouldn’t mind getting my feet washed by Jesus, but I certainly don’t look forward to changing diapers or washing the dishes or scooping snow or serving soup.

God has placed all things into your hands, through the death and resurrection our Lord Jesus Christ. Theologians have called it the “Happy Exchange” where all that you have, all your sins, all of your dirt, all of your anger, all of your brokenness is placed in the hands of Jesus, or, more specifically, nailed into his hands on the cross. All that Jesus has, his salvation, his forgiveness and his eternal life, is placed in your hands. All that you have is his and all that he has is yours. All things are in your hands.

Now, what will you do with all this? Will you serve or be served? Will you rest on your laurels or share your abundance? You know God’s commandment, but what are you going to do? Well, we will probably all end up hoarding our glory in our own hands most of the time. It is our peculiar gift to be able to make the least use of God’s abundant and good gifts. But God will not abandon you or me just because we fail miserably in following his commandments because we can’t see past our own selfish desires. But he just keeps pouring out the love and forgiveness and salvation and life until one day we might finally realize that there is always going to be something overflowing. Our cups keep running over, so that one day we might feel free enough, be given the faith enough, to stop allowing God’s grace to splash all over us, and, instead, provide a drink for someone thirsty for God’s love.

At his last supper, Jesus didn’t just give you a commandment, but he gave you all that he has, his body and his blood—his very heart, his love. And he’s not threatening to take it away with a big bad commandment; in fact, he promises to keep pouring himself out for you, day after day, moment after moment, until you realize how much you have to give—you have all that Jesus has and he’s got the whole world in his hands.

No comments: