Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Sermon for October 25th

“While Philip and I were drinking beer, the Word reformed the church.” That’s a quote from Martin Luther referring to himself and another reformer Philip Melanchthon. It’s Reformation day and so today we will try to discern what it means to be a Christian over four-hundred years after Martin Luther famously nailed his 95 theses to the church door in Wittenburg and started making arguments that would eventually get him excommunicated from the Roman Catholic church.

Luther explained quite rightly what all the fuss concerning the Reformation was really all about: God’s Word. It was about the God’s Word and NOT Martin Luther. Not Philip Melanchthon. It wasn’t simply about popes or indulgences or nationalism or the Roman Catholic Church. God’s Word reformed the church as it has done for centuries and it will continue to do this until Jesus Christ returns and reforms us all from dead corpses into an eternally living people of God. We always need reforming. Today is not about being a Lutheran or a Protestant; it’s about being a sinner clinging to God’s Word and being reformed through the work of the Holy Spirit. So let’s get right to it.

First off, why would anyone cling to God’s Word as we hear it in Scripture when there is so much in it that we hate, so much that scares us, accuses us and makes us run away from it? To explain this, I’d like to tell you about some experiences that I have had recently. The first thing you need to know is that I run in the mornings. The second thing you need to know is that our neighbor attained a rooster sometime this summer. And, finally, you need to understand that I despise running. I hate it, perhaps a little less than I hate beets, but still, running is never very much fun in my opinion.

So why do I run? Because I know that it is important to be healthy. I want my heart to be healthy and I want to lose weight (or at least not get overweight). So, in other words, I run because I am afraid. I am afraid of death and want to put it off for as long as possible. Now, when I began running this summer, every animal in the forest would scurry away because they heard my heavy breathing from miles off. I was still quite out of shape, you see. And every morning, still irritated that I had to wake up and go run, and already hot and uncomfortable, I would meet my next door neighbor the rooster. And he would crow at me and give me a look that only a rooster can give. And I felt that he was making fun of me. Because he knew how dumb and out of shape I looked. And I hated that rooster and how his crows would mock me.

Months have passed and I have continued running. I still hate it most of the time, but I’ve seen it in a new light. Rather than feeling like I’m going to die every day, I know that running gives me more energy and makes me feel better. I may not like running, but I like the way it makes me feel. I used to run to keep away death. Now I run for the sake of my life. It may not seem like a big difference, but in some ways it really is. Along the way, the rooster and I had gotten on different schedules I guess. I had forgotten all about him, until a couple of days ago, when I was on the way home heading up the last hill and he looked at me, with a look only a rooster can give, and he crowed at me like old times. But something was different this time. For some reason, at that moment, he did not sound like he was mocking me at all. In fact, I heard it quite differently. It felt like he was congratulating me. Cheering me on! Encouraging me. Saying, well done! Good job!

A reading from the Romans, chapter 3, “Now we know that whatever the law says, it speaks to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced, and the whole world may be held accountable to God. For ‘no human being will be justified in his sight’ by deeds prescribed by the law, for through the law comes the knowledge of sin.” Martin Luther saw these words in the Bible as full of judgment. These words drove him to not only hate himself for the sinner he was but to hate God for being such a harsh judge. “No human being will be justified in his sight”? Luther could not understand how he could love a God like that. Luther hated God and he hated himself even more for knowing that he felt that way.

Each day, as Luther would read scripture, he would hear God crowing his anger and judgment. The reading from Romans continues, “But now, apart from the law, the righteousness of God has been disclosed, and is attested by the law and the prophets, the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe.” God was a righteous judge. All were sinful. There was no escaping that fact for Luther. He could not be found holy according to the law and he could knew he could not be found holy in the sight of Jesus Christ either. Luther spent his days in misery looking for a God who could love him, but finding only a righteous God—a God crowing out death and judgment as Luther ran out the days of his life.

There are many of you who can probably relate to a part of this story. Perhaps you are too pious to say that you out and out “hate” God, but you doubt him sometimes and you doubt how he could love someone like you. I don’t know all of your stories and, even if I’ve heard parts, you probably have left out the juiciest sections, you haven’t told me your favorite sins, the worst sins, the embarrassing situations you’ve tried to forget, the memories you keep running away from, the addictions you keep running to for comfort. And, try as you might to punish yourself for not being able to get past these behaviors, the question remains, “How can God, a God of justice, a God of righteousness, love a sinner like you?”

God must follow his own law and, according to that law, you are not worthy. There is no way around this. We are all condemned. Every time I ran by that idiot rooster, it was almost like he knew what I would not admit out loud: I wasn’t good enough run. I was out of shape. I should’ve just turned around and gone home before I embarrassed myself anymore with my heavy breathing and pitted out t-shirts. Luther read the pages of the Bible and knew there was no hope for him either. Not in this life or the next. Looking at your life, honestly, would you fare any better in God’s eyes?

But then, one day, everything changed for Martin Luther. He said, “I greatly longed to understand Paul’s Epistle to the Romans and nothing stood in the way but that one expression, ‘the righteousness of God or the justice of God,’ because I took it to mean the justice whereby God is just and deals justly in punishing the unjust. My situation was that, although an impeccable monk, I stood before God as a sinner . . . . Therefore I did not love a just and angry God, but rather hated and murmured against him. Then I grasped that the justice of God is that righteousness by which through grace and sheer mercy God justifies us through faith. Thereupon I felt myself to be reborn and to have gone through open doors into paradise. The whole of Scripture took on a new meaning, and whereas before the ‘justice of God’ had filled me with hate, now it became to me inexpressibly sweet in greater love. This passage of Paul became to me a gate to heaven . . . .”

God’s law is true, and just, and holy, and righteous and you are expected to follow every word of it not only because God demands it but because your neighbor needs you to. However, even by following this most excellent rule of life, you cannot save yourself. It will do you no good! You cannot get closer to earning your salvation. Not even a little bit. Trusting in your own abilities only makes you look worse in God’s eyes. “But now,” as Romans puts it, “apart from the law, the righteousness of God has been disclosed, and is attested by the law and the prophets, the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction, since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are not justified by his grace as a gift effective through faith.”

Reformation Day is not about Martin Luther, or Lutherans, or Protestants; it is about how God reforms sinners. God’s law accuses all of us, demanding that we live better lives for the sake of one another, but Jesus saves you through faith alone. Faith that God has worked APART from the law and gives you life, forgiveness and salvation as a gift.

So, today, we thank God for Martin Luther and the Lutheran Reformers because they had the audacity to cling to God’s Word when it wasn’t popular or pleasant to do so, so that we today you might hear the crowing of Scripture as your biggest fan rather than your harshest critic. Luther sums it up quite well, “If you have a true faith that Christ is your Savior, than at once you have a gracious God, for faith leads you in and opens up God’s heart and will, that you should see pure grace and overflowing love. This is it to behold God in faith that you should look upon his fatherly, friendly heart, in which there is no anger nor ungraciousness. He who sees God as angry does not see him rightly but looks only on a curtain, as if a dark cloud had been drawn across his face. But this must be our ground and anchor-hold, that Christ is our only perfect righteousness Therefore we must always believe and always hope; we must always take hold of Christ as the head and fountain of our righteousness. He that believes in Him shall not be ashamed.” How will God reform your life? On this Reformation Day and everyday, look to Christ alone for your salvation. Amen.

No comments: