Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Sermon for September 11th (Remember)


Today is the 10th anniversary of the September 11th attacks . . . what do you remember?  Where were you?  I remember.  I had just finished taking some entrance exams for my Masters degree in Cincinnati when I saw a couple of people watching a TV.  There were crowds on the screen and it looked like they were in New York. 

                I remember coming home and turning on the news.  The next thing I remember was two weeks later when I turned it off.  I remember crying.  I remember being scared to death.  I remember being angry.  I remember just sitting with Kristy and hugging and talking in shocked voices about how the world just seemed so weird now.  I remember going to church and talking to people from New York who had friends who had died.  I remember seeing the pictures again and again.  The smoke, the planes, the body counts, the president addressing the nation.  I remember the feelings.

                We still remember.  10 years later we are still remembering.  It’s so awful that we can’t forget.  When you witness a tragedy, the moment is imprinted on your brain just from the shock.  But there is something worse about witnessing evil.  It would have been one thing if a plane had lost control and hit a tower.  It would have been a tragedy that we would have remembered distantly in the past.  Like the bridge on 1-35 in Minnesota collapsing or the Tsunami in Japan or where a child dies in an accident.  But the memory of September 11th is different, isn’t it?  Because it was more than a tragedy—it was a tragedy caused by sin, by evil, by the wicked desires of a few to deliberately kill many.  I remember thinking that the worst part of it all was that, on this day that I was sobbing and glued to my television, somewhere in the world a crowd of terrorists was cheering and glad.  I remember feeling sick to think about that.

                If you remember how you felt on September 11th, 10 years ago, then you have a glimpse of how God has felt every day since Adam and Eve fell into temptation and allowed sin to enter the world.  God sees murders, adultery, disobedience, gossip, drunkenness, lying and idolatry every moment of every day.  And how often are these sins accomplished in us and we are cheering.  At a party, in a secret bedroom, over the phone or, at the very least, in our hearts.  How often does God remember seeing you or I sinning against each another and laughing about it.  Feeling like we have gotten away with something and feeling smug.  Making excuses for why we were justified in our favorite sin.  You know what, I don’t think that it is a surprise that God remembers.   How could he forget seeing people hurt one another with a smile on their face?  I remember September 11th and I know that I can’t forget it.

                So that is why I admit that I do not understand God.  He is a mystery to me.  I can’t fathom his actions or his mind.  His ways are so much different than my own.  God surprises me.  Do you know why?  Listen to what he says in today’s reading from Jeremiah 31:31-34 . . . For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.”  “For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.”  How can that be true?  Is he just saying that to good people?  To goody-goody Christians?  No.  He says it again in Isaiah 43, “You have burdened me with your sins and wearied me with your offenses.  I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more.” The book of Romans says that “While we were still sinners, Jesus died for us.” 

                Can you imagine a day when you didn’t remember September 11th?  If you didn’t remember, you couldn’t be angry anymore.  You would forgive those who murdered husbands and mothers and children and sisters because you couldn’t remember what they had done.  Can you imagine what it would mean to never remember those sins again?

                But now, here, we come to a dilemma.  Because, today, on the 10th anniversary of September 11th, we remember those who died and can relate to them.  We felt victimized on that day too.  But, when God enters the picture, we realize that we cannot relate to just the victims anymore.  In God’s world, we are the terrorists.  As I said before, we are the ones who hurt others with smiles on our faces.  And, no, people haven’t just gotten worse.  In the sixth chapter of Genesis, we’re talking 4000 years ago, we read, “The Lord saw how great man’s wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time.  The Lord was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain.”  The problem is that people haven’t changed.  Even when God sent his only Son Jesus to give us life abundantly, to heal our diseases, to forgive our sins, we nailed him to a cross—the blameless, innocent lamb of God.

                To other men, both criminals, were also led out with Jesus to be executed the gospel of Luke explains.  One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him:  'Aren’t you the Messiah?  Save yourself and us!”  Do you remember ever doing that?  Getting angry at God who allowing the September 11th attacks to happen in the first place?  But the other criminal rebuked him, “Don’t you fear God, “ he said, “Since you are under the same sentence?  We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve.  But this  man has done nothing wrong.”  Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”  And here we thought it was the fact that God DIDN’T remember that was his greatest gift to us. 

                The book of Galatians says, “Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us.”  The first letter of Peter says, “He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed.”  He nailed our condemnation to the cross.  The fact is, while it seems, at first glance, that God’s mercy lies in his forgetfulness—or in his not remembering our sins; I believe that we will only find God’s mercy when he remembers every single one of them so he can die for them all.  I don’t want him to forget a single one of my sins.  The hidden ones, the obvious ones, the wicked ones, the little mistakes and faults—because if he forgets to die for a single one I am lost forever.  He must remember every single one of your sins, so that he can die in your place and then, only then, will God be able to forget them completely. 

                This is why, in the book of Colossians, we read this great news in chapter 3 verse 3, “For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.”  The penalty for sin is death.  There is no hiding from this truth.  You terrorize this world and those around you with your sins and God must painfully watch you do it again and again with a smile on your faith, with self-justification, with blissful ignorance.  He must remember each one so that he remembers why his Son, Jesus had to die.  But then, as he stares at the cross, he remembers his promise, “I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.”  God remembers so that he might stop remembering.

                “Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.”  It’s hard, on a day like today, to not remember . . . so stop trying.  Remember.  Remember the pain, the anger, the fear and the sadness.  Because the September 11th attacks can never be forgotten.  Instead, we pray for God’s spirit to enter our hearts and minds and do something in us that we cannot do on our own.  We pray that God gives us the ability to remember and then to forgive.  To have the heart of God who says, “I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.”  We must remember in order to stop remembering.  To put our minds on things above: love, forgiveness and joy rather than on the anger, sadness and revenge so uplifted in this world.

                When you come to Jesus Christ and acknowledge him as your Lord and your Savior you realize that we are all alike on this earth.  The same wickedness is in all of us.  And when you realize that your sins have been remembered and forgotten, there is a chance, that you might find that same freedom here on earth in your relationships with others.  I remember wondering that day 10 years ago, were the people who died ready?  The attacks of September 11th were such a surprise.  Did they have faith in Jesus?  They had plans just like we do today.  They had important things to do just like us.  At the end, no matter when that end comes, we will all be in the same predicament.  Crying out just like that thief on the cross: “Jesus, though I do not deserve you, please, remember me when you come into your kingdom.  Remember my faults, remember my inadequacies and remember my sins.  Remember me.    And when a sinner cries out in faith, God remembers all that he created you to be and he remembers to forget everything that pulled you apart from him.  Remember.  When you cry out to Jesus, you can count on Him answering.   “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”  Amen. 

No comments: