Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Sermon for February 5th (Anxiety)


Anxiety is the topic of the day.  What does the Bible have to say about anxiety?  Psychologists have found that when a person is put under stress, whatever kind of stress that might be, they have a very simple response in one of two directions.  Fight or flight.  They will either turn and run from the stress in some way or turn and fight.
                When I first started playing football, in 5th grade, I was being teased one time at practice.  Most of the time, I could take it, but today, it really made me angry.  I was about to throw a punch when I realized that I could get in a whole lot of trouble if I hit another kid so, my fear of consequences won out and I ran away. 
                What do you do when you have a big assignment or a big project?  Do you stand and fight or turn and run?  Some people seek to control every aspect of their lives so that stress cannot affect them.  They are organized to the nth degree and anyone who seeks to change their routine gets their head cut off.  They become anxious when things in their life feel out of control.  Some of you deal with stress by trying to control it. 
But maybe you are just the opposite.   You procrastinate down to the very last minute?  You worry that the big project is going to be too hard for you or that you won’t have enough time to finish I so you never start.  Some people become anxious because they are always trying to find ways to avoid the stress in their lives.  And the more stress they avoid, the more afraid they become that it will all catch up with them. 
                I’m not a psychologist so that’s about as far as I can go trying to explain anxiety.  I’m not a doctor, so I can’t prescribe you pills either.  My call is to share with you what the Bible says about anxiety and how we can deal with this dilemma, as Christians.  Does God have any help for you?  I believe He does. 
To start, here’s the biblical truth:  Anxiety is a sin.  Whoa, you may say, hold on a moment!  How can I say that anxiety is a sin?  Stress is a normal part of life, right?  But anxiety happens either when you are trying to do God’s job for him or when you do not trust God to do His job.  Let me repeat that again: Anxiety happens either when you are trying to do God’s job for Him, or, when you do not trust God to do his job.  Anxiety is NOT how God would have us deal with stress in our lives.  He has commanded us to trust Him and, let’s be honest, most of us don’t. 
How do you normally deal with stress?  TV?  Cookies and ice cream?  By reading books to be better organized or learn how to become more assertive?  We normally look to ourselves to handle it.  I would like to offer you a different suggestion: become more organized by all means.  Bake cookies.  Learn to say no.  All these things are great to do.  But how you deal with stress as a Christian has much less to do with technique and a lot to do with your faith.  God calls us to trust Him to handle our stress.  “In every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” 
2 Corinthians 10 says this, “For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does.  The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world.  On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.” 
You’ve got a trust problem with God.  That’s what causes anxiety.  Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin, but if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.”  Who do you trust more to deal with the stress in your life?  You or God?  That’s the key to your freedom. 


When you admit the truth, that you have a trust problem with God, that your anxiety, your worrying, your desire to control, is a sin, you receive complete forgiveness from God.  But even when you are assured of salvation, many people still deal with the after effects of a life lived in fear or of a compulsion to control.
When I was in Junior High, the US invaded Iraq the first time.  I remember coming home and seeing on the TV that we were at war.  We had weapons, they had weapons, and I hadn’t even known it was happening.  I thought I was immune from things like war.
As I have become more familiar with the Bible.  I have begun to realize that there is another war going on everyday that most of us are unaware of.  We’ve heard of the teams, but we don’t give them much thought.  We certainly don’t think that it affects us much.  And yet, WE are the battlefield.  Our hearts and minds and bodies.  As the saying goes, “The greatest lie the Devil ever told was that he didn’t exist.”  Jesus cast out demons and told his followers to do the same to fight against the schemes of the Devil, but a lot of Christians today live their lives believing demons don’t even exist.  We think we are immune.  Scripture says that not only do they exist, but they can oppress Christian believers in order to terrorize us and wreck havoc in our lives. 
Forgiveness makes you right with God for all eternity, but you may still suffer from panic attacks even though you know you shouldn’t.  You may struggle with an overwhelming sense of guilt even though you believe that you are forgiven.  You may know that God is trustworthy, but you are compelled to worry anyway. 
If you are one of the people in this boat, reminding you about how to resist the temptation to worry isn’t enough-you are already a “slave” to these sins and you feel it.  Helping you deal with stress isn’t the issue anymore.  According to Psalm 94, our only hope to fight this kind of anxiety is God himself, “Who will rise up for me against the wicked?  Who will take a stand for me against evildoers?  Unless the Lord had given me help, I would soon have dwelt in the silence of death.  When I said, “My foot is lipping, your love, O Lord, supported me.  When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul.” 
God comforts his people in many ways, I just believe we usually only focus on the comfort of eternal life-forgiveness.  But God’s salvation throughout history has always been considered just as much for the here and now as for eternity.  Not just for the afterlife, but for this life as well. 
I believe we have all been tricked to believe that people must suffer from anxiety.  That it’s normal.  That we just don’t have enough “faith” to be happy.  But that’s not the truth God speaks in scripture.  God has given his church a ministry of healing and deliverance to go along with the assurance of your salvation.  There is no reason God’s children should suffer the attacks of evil spirits and demons anymore.  Jesus Christ called us to do more than just preach the good news, but to heal the sick and cast out demons.  Saint Paul said the gospel came with power!  He said, “Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice.  And the God of peace will be with you.”  Jesus did more than forgive sin; he freed God’s people from the power of the Devil
I realize that, for some of you, this message might be causing you anxiety.  You want to run away from it or argue with me about it.  Fight or flight.  But there is no reason to fear or fight what God has instituted as a gift for his church.  How can we not do what Jesus has commanded us to do?  You see, I am not a psychologist.  I am not a doctor.  I am a pastor, so all I can truly give you is the truth of scripture and the hope of Jesus Christ.  Who will rise up for you against the evil that oppresses you?  Jesus Christ alone.  And he has called his church to fight this battle in His name. 
      Trust God to deal with your stress, but if you have fallen into the trap of anxiety and now believe you are being oppressed by this sin, please don’t try to fight this battle on your own.  At the name of Jesus Christ, the Devil himself trembles.  There is still hope and help for you in the church of God.    Just ask.

No comments: