Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Sermon for November 27th (Comfort in God's Second Coming)


Did you know that Jesus Christ is coming?  “For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.  After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air.  And so we will be with the Lord forever.”  Did you know that Jesus Christ is coming? 
                I know that Jesus Christ is coming, but I don’t think about it much at all.  And I know I should.  Jesus told us to “Stay awake!”  To “Watch” so that the day doesn’t catch us off guard like a thief in the night.  Most of the time, when Jesus’ second coming is talked about in church, those are the words that we hear.  We feel bad for a little while that, no, we don’t really think about him returning much, we really should, and then we go back to forgetting about it as we get involved in our shopping and decorating and preparing for Christmas.  I mean, if the church really wanted you to focus on the second coming, this reading would show up around the middle of January when everyone is bored and snowed in—not when everyone is so busy!  Not during the “most wonderful time of the year!”  We don’t have time to prepare because we are too busy preparing for everything else!
                And so, talk about the second coming usually falls into that category that Martin Luther would call, “The Law.”  The Law says, “Do this and it is never done.”  We are always supposed to watch, stay awake and prepare, but since we can’t do it enough, and Jesus still hasn’t come back anyway, we just say, “Well, can’t be perfect!”  And get back to baking our sugar cookies and folding the laundry before our guests come over.  But what if Jesus wasn’t trying to make us feel bad at all?  What if we’ve missed the point of his return and make it into a religious demand rather than a heavenly promise?
                Yes, I think that we all have reason to fear the time when Jesus returns.  We will all fall short of God’s glory after all.  We’ll realize that our time is up and we didn’t make the most of it.  But did you ever stop to think that Jesus’ return will also be a time of celebration?  That we are preparing for a party?  That we are watching for the guest of honor?  That we are staying awake to witness a once in a lifetime event? 
                I’m a pretty social and extraverted person, so I usually look forward to having people come over to my house.  But I don’t like getting ready for them to come because we have to clean.  I just want to relax or get some other work done.  I don’t want to clean the bathrooms!  It always seems like I just did it whether it was two weeks ago or two months ago.  We have to put away our laundry and vaccum and sweep and take out the trash!  But I love having people come over so I do it begrudgingly.  No matter how much work there is to do, I know that it is for a purpose that I am looking forward to.
                The truth is, actually, I WANT my house to look nice.  I don’t want to be embarrassed by mold growing in the toilets or dirt clods by the shoes.  If Kristy and I have friends coming over, I want to show them that I care about them enough to clean.  I want them to know that they are special.  That they are worth the extra effort. 
                Listen to this reading from 2nd Peter chapter 3, “But the day of the Lord will come like a thief.  The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything will be laid bare.  So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with Him.”  You and I pile up a lot of crud in our lives.  Especially our spiritual lives can become dusty when unused or a little dirty with misuse.  Our hearts need a good scrubbing every once in a while or they can become filthy.  Jesus will be coming soon and one of the best ways to celebrate his return is to do some cleaning up in your life.  It’s not necessarily fun and, of course, he’d come anyway whether you’ve cleaned or not.  But because, as his child, you are looking forward to eternal life, preparing for his coming is a way to show him that you respect and care for your relationship.  Cleaning up your life is a way to celebrate the second coming.  So while you prepare for the earthly celebration of Christmas, don’t forget to prepare for the eternal celebration starting when Christ returns.
                Christmastime can be one of the most stressful times of the year.  All the extra shopping and spending, the cooking and baking—preparing for that day and all the festivities around it can be difficult.  And yet, even with all the frustrations and difficulties, don’t you kind of look forward to them in a way?  Nobody likes the full parking lots, but it feels special somehow to realize all these people are doing the same thing you are.  You don’t want to break your budget, but you want others to know how much you care about them.  It can be exhausting, all the parties you must prepare for and meals you serve, but this is an event you look forward to because it is a Celebration. 
                In Kristy’s family, they alternate where Christmas is going to be held each year by having each aunt or uncle hold it in their house once every four years.  I remember the first Christmas I was a part of their family when her mom held it at her house.  We had to clean the basement and decorate and we did it for like three days straight.  It was a ton of work . . . but you know what?  I really enjoyed the Christmas.  More than most actually.  Because when you put forward a lot of effort for something, the reward of the celebration seems to be that much sweeter.  When I played football, the games we won were sweeter when I played in them.  I’ve had Christmases where I bought hardly any presents and didn’t really think about the day until Christmas morning.  Yeah, it was less work, but less celebration too.  I got out what I put in.
                When Christ returns in his glory, there will be a celebration for all those who believe in Him.  Every moment of your life is preparing for that day.  Those of you who come to church each week, who pray to God at home and listen to his voice throughout the day, who volunteer your talents and give your time.  Who share your money with those in need . . . I know that this can seem like a lot of work.  Like it’s thankless and maybe even pointless sometimes.  But when that trumpet sounds and Christ returns, that celebration is going to be sweet for you.  Not because you deserve any extra credit, but because you put in extra effort.  Scripture says that “every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord”, but for those of you who have spent your life on your knees in prayer and singing praises to the name of your Savior, it will seem like the best worship service of your entire life.  Like I said, your life will simply be preparation for that glorious day!
                Today’s gospel says, “Watch!  Keep awake!”  The first thing I thought of was when my grandma and grandpa Broers would come to our house.   When I was little, I’d try and try to stay awake just to give them a hug and then go to sleep.   Or, if Kristy would go home alone some weekend, I’d wait up for her to come back to college for the schoolweek.  It wasn’t that I couldn’t have fallen asleep.  It wasn’t that I didn’t want to sleep, I did.  But I wanted the joy of seeing these people more.
                Jesus Christ, “Stay awake, I’m coming soon!”  “Keep watch, I’ll be pulling up any moment now!”  Jesus says that, for those who fall asleep, he is like a thief in the night, but that’s not how he would be seen by those who are awaiting his coming.  Theives come in when we are sleeping, but guests, family and friends come when we are staying up late for their arrival.  What is Jesus to you?  That will make it clear how you ought to live your life.  If you call upon Him as your Savior it is time to prepare for his coming, to clean up your proverbial house, to watch, to keep awake, to stay out of the darkness. 
                The truth is that we do not know the hour that he is coming or the day.  But the promise, the great promise of celebration is that, he is coming.  Any time now, any moment and any day. It will be a great celebration and you are invited to join in the party.  Amen.  

No comments: